B.L.T. Brunch BakeMarch 22, 2023
Donut Ice Cream SandwichMarch 22, 2023
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 24 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs. Daily’s® Thick Cut Bacon
- 2 Vidalia or sweet yellow onions, sliced thin/julienne
- 3 Garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup Bourbon or rum
- 2 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup Light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Align bacon slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the bacon starts to get crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add the bacon grease to a large skillet and heat over medium-low heat, then add onions. Stir to coat with the bacon grease. Allow to cook very slowly for approximately an hour, stirring and scraping any brown/black bits every 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic about halfway through.
- Once the onions are a rich, deep brown color, deglaze the pan with the bourbon or rum, scraping the pan as the liquid dissolves. Add the remaining ingredients (except bacon). Stir until a thick glaze forms, around 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture and bacon to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 7 days in a jam jar or other air tight container.